Whole Stuffed Pork Loin
What you will need
- Whole boneless pork loin we recommend Prairie Fresh Loins
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes, cold
- 5 cups French bread stuffing (recipe below)
- 1 recipe The Shed BBQ Holiday Glaze (recipe below)
- 1 recipe the Shed BBQ Savory Rub (recipe below)
- 4 cups prepared brown gravy
- 1 stick butter
- butcher's twine
- meat trussing needle
The Shed BBQ Savory Rub:
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel (can substitute 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest or 1/2 tablespoon lemon oil)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon salt
French Bread Stuffing:
- 1 loaf French bread, day old, cut into small cubes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery heart stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon diced
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 4 tablespoons The Shed BBQ Savory Rub
The Shed BBQ Holiday Glaze:
- 1 cup The Shed "Southern Sweet" BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups honey
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves (optional, put in a sachet)
How to prepare
Savory Rub - Mix all rub ingredients together.
Holiday Glaze - Prepare glaze by whisking all glaze ingredients together. In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring continuously to prevent burning. Turn heat to low and continue to cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Additional allspice may be added to taste. Remove whole cloves before glazing pork.
French Bread Stuffing - In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook diced bacon until soft and set aside to cool. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon grease in pan. In the skillet, sauté diced onion, bell pepper, celery and fresh parsley in reserved bacon grease until onions are translucent and vegetables start to soften. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine French bread, sautéed vegetables, cooked bacon, 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, 3 ounces Parmesan cheese and 4 tablespoons of The Shed BBQ Savory Rub. Mix until ingredients are well-blended.
Add eggs and broth to bread mixture. Mix until bread is moist and well blended.
Add eggs and broth to bread mixture. Mix until bread is a moist and well-blended.
Pork Loin - Preheat smoker o 325 degrees F.**
With a sharp knife, starting about three inches from the end, cut the boneless pork loin lengthwise down the center about three-quarters deep to about three inches on the other opposite end.
Holding knife at a 45-degree angle, begin trimming additional pork from both the left and right sides of the center cut, creating a boat-like opening for ingredients. Watch the video on the Prairie Fresh YouTube channel.
Stuff loin starting with a layer of cold prepared mashed potatoes on the bottom and topped with French bread stuffing.
With the meat trussing needle, sew the top side of the loin together, leaving approximately 2 inches between each stitch so the stuffing can expand during the cooking process.
Season outside of loin with The Shed BBQ Savory Rub.
Add pats of butter across the top of the exposed stuffing.
Place loin in the preheated smoker. Cook loin at 325 degrees F, glazing periodically with The Shed BBQ Holiday Glaze. Approximately 1-2 hours.
Once stuffing rises and begins to brown, add reserved Parmesan cheese to the top and continue to cook. Once internal temperature of loin reaches 145-150 degrees F, remove from heat and cover loosely with foil.
Let stuffed loin rest 15-20 minutes before slicing. Slice and enjoy with warm brown gravy.
This recipe can be made with Prairie Fresh® Natural boneless half loin. Reduce all ingredients by half.
This recipe can also be roasted in a 325-degree F oven.